Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Marana Guhai - Movie Review.

Gemini..... you gonna die....

I had the opportunity to watch the excellent movie called Marana Guhai in little Anand Theatre. The movie answered the primordial existential question that had been nagging me for about 27 years. What would happen if a group of cave scientists enter an underground waterfilled cave that has not been opened for 90 years, which is located under a 12th century Gothic Church? If you are a masochist like me, you can spend 90 minutes finding the answer for it.

"Marana Guhai" is a supremely edited and meticulously constructed story about 7 - 8 guys and one really hot scientist(yes... the one in the picture)... trying to escape several parasitic creatures that seem to be alternatively attacking and laughing at the group for being so so completely jobless to think about finding out what could be under an otherwise desolate cave. I mean what were they thinking when 8 guys got together to 'chart' a piece of wasteland? Why dont we ever read about such things in places other than the "Weekend World News" ?

The only interesting thing about the movie was that I had the chance to brush up on my Thamizh with some truly great words that can be used as choice abuses at the unkowing. Do you think you would be able to call someone a 'Surappi' or a 'kandi' without having the person think you have likened him to a paricularly offensive body part ?

The other salient point of the movie was one of the chief scientists telling others
"Guhayay Madhiyungal"...
which roughly translates to paying obeisance to the cave. I started wondering if he was talking about Lord Shiva in Amarnath. I later read that the line was "Respect the cave" in the english version of the movie. This line had me in splits and probably is the worst oneliner in the history of Hollywood. I will look forward to seeing this movie in this year's Razzies.

Other great thamizh words used in this movie.... I must congratulate the guys who did the translation :-). They must be outof work zoology graduates.... :).
Pulluruvi - Parasite?
Seevippana - Creature!!
Surappi - Gland:)
Kandi - Slate... hahahahaha

2 comments:

..|.. said...

Hehe... I got this sudden craving for tamil dub movies after reading your comment in my blog. This sounds like a must-watch. But I don't think I'll find tamil dub movies in Bangalore. :-(

Guru

Escape.... Great Escape said...

Well then you would have to satisfy yourself with the Sivajinagar's oneliners on VJ TV... "Aaandavan Solran Arnaald Mudikkaran"...


:-).