Friday, December 29, 2006

Movie Review - Veyil or Veyyil

Veyyil, is a commendable effort... reviewers never fail to point out that this effort is from Shankar's S Pictures. And as usual, it has a nice story... and set in interesting locations. The places the movie is based reminds you of the old Bharathiraaja movies... based in villages that have not been 'facelifted'. You know.. the kind of locales that people immedietely label as 'gritty' in their reviews.

Characters are well made. Simple and realistic. Pasupathy stands out. His mannerisms and voice intonation... when he re-introduces himself to his brother... or when he claims innocence of pilfering... pretty close to what I percieve as realistic.

Bharath looks very comfortable in his role as the younger brother. His scenes with Bhavana are straight out of Kaadhal... violent guy, timid girl. His scenes with Pasupathy where he exhibits a sort of repentent love because of the guilt he had felt as a kid... are interesting. The macho scenes that are mandatory to maintain his status as "Chinna Thalabadhi" fall flat. He needs to put on atleast 1 more stone.

Bhavana I think has used up all the 'make up saamaan' that had been bought for the movie. Shriya plays a character who works in a matchbox factory and lives in a shanty. Yet she finds the money to tweeze her eyebrows once a week. In the movie, they are almost as carefully shaped as Vijayakanth's in Chinna Gounder. (Have you seen them? They are a work of art...)

Its been almost 3 months since I watched a Thamizh movie in teh theatre.. teh last one being Perarasu. This movie, I watched because I had nothing else to do was worth the wait. Inspite of a few shortcomings some of which, I obviously had blown out of proportion... the movie was eons ahead of the other tripe that came out these last three months.

8 comments:

Suresh said...

As I went on reading I was expecting a 'gotcha! I was just kidding" line. But surprisingly, you actually seemed to have liked to movie.
Even for someone who watches every other Tamil movie released this is just too bland and disorienting. It's the other extreme of being a wannabe - unique, realistic, artist and all that.
I felt like "uvaaak" after watching the movie.

Escape.... Great Escape said...

Veyyil was actually good. I liked Pasupathy a lot. Basically because I had known someone like that as a kid...

The movie was not as 'wannabe' as VV nor was it as insipid as Thimuru or Jaambavan.

Vijay said...

Two comments

1. Not watched a tamil movie in two months - can the real loori plz stand up??

2. How caome u decided to watch Veyil. I thought you dont watch the so-called "inteliigent tamil movies"

Where is the world heading to???

Escape.... Great Escape said...

Whoever said Veyyil was an "intelligent Thamizh movie"? Did I ever say that in my review ? I said it was better thn teh rest of the tripe... though it had its share of cliches and 'thamizhmovie izations" that made me feel at home watchign the movie.

Ans yes.. tis eben white a while since i watched a thamizh movie... not ebcause of the work .. but out of plain laziness :D.

iyengarkatz said...

loori,

where is ure guru review?? ;-)

katz

Escape.... Great Escape said...

havent watched themovie yet... from the likes of it.. it wouldn't be good to watch it in THamizh.. and i do not understand Hindi unless i am sloshed...

Lets see...

Sarang said...

Well, I do agree on your comments wrt themake-up and presentation issues. I personally liked the movie. Especially, the colours used. Irrespective of the real feel or the natuaral feel, I believe the director does have a average to good sense of colours. I definitely liked the character of Pasupathy. It is not a path breaking movie but it is worth a watch.

Blogger said...

Sprinter - ChokeLine (170BPM)