Saturday, January 20, 2007

Movie Review - Apocalypto

This is not a Mel Gibson movie. This is just a completely different from ordinary movie about a man caught in situations most of us cannot even imagine. This feeling is further reiterated because we all know this is how life could have been at that time... maybe a thousand years ago. I think this movie is the best possible example of a 'period' flick. It is dated in time and thought.

It is a story of a man... who wants to escape pure tyranny and torture.. does everything humanly possible to escape his captors.. including killing them in some of the most gory ways. This is where you realize that this is a Mel Gibson movie.. the unadulterated way he has 'fleshed out' the action scenes... bloody awesome. You see people eviscerated, gouged, pierced, hammered, nailed, tonged... skewered.. malletted, awled... sheeted, ironed... I know I can keep going on... bu the point is... every single mechanical tool we use now... has been tested on a human subject in this movie.

I dont think there is anyone in the world who can make a bad movie cinematographically.. set in the Amazon forest. "The visuals are breathtaking".. maybe P C Sriram would find the place interesting.. because the forest is really awesome... the darkest place is just two feet away fromt the brightest place.. the canopy... and all.
There are a few problems with the names. Zero Wolf ? I always thought it was the Indians that came up with the concept of Zero. So.. how does the name Zero wolf tranlsate in Mayan?

2 comments:

Escape.... Great Escape said...

No. sorry. the Zero.. was valued by the Mayans as early as 500 B.C. intersting thing that ourman has come up with.

Enemy of the Republic said...

I still plan on seeing Mel Gibson movies, despite his ignorance on race and women and all that stuff. But I can't see this one for the same reason I couldn't go to the Passion of the Christ--the violence and I am not frightened of it in general. I just think Mel goes overboard. I admire his work, and I did want to see this as it looked breathtaking, but I doubt I could handle some of the scenes.