Sunday, December 28, 2008

Abhiyun Naanum

Do you believe that when you go to an Udipi Restaurant, it is better to have a Mangalore bonda? Or are you the person who orders bruschetta? If you are one of the second kind, prepare yourself for the torture in the form of Abhiyum Naanum. 

You see, I happen to have watched and hated "Father of the bride"... and then, people came up with "Father of the Bride - 2" with the same ensemble. Star movies made it worse by telecasting it on lonely afternoons during study holidays. And now our dear Duet movies... has come up with Father of the Bride - 3 and thankfully Aishwarya as the mother in law is not shown pregnant... or is she?

The opening logo shows a monkey finding a film reel (of the Steve Martin flick I presume)... and beginning to ponder. I wish I had shot the monkey then and there. Maybe PR is going to make Gorillas in the Mist next... with Simran as Sigourney Weaver, T Rajendar as the gorilla and PTC buses causing the mist. Now I am off on a tangent as usual. 

Ok coming back to my Udipi analogy, I hate people who think that Thamizh movies would make a mark in the world, if they imitate the west well, (ie) by making sensible movies that deal with believable human emotions. I am firmly of belief that Thamizh movies can make a mark only by standing out... (ie) by making more of Simbhu's Silambattam or Arjun's Thiruvannamalai. These movies are distinctly Dravidian. Just like we do not try to make our dosas into pancakes and have it with maple syrup, we should not try to make sensible movies. It just does not bode well amd it irritates the palate. 

I do not like Abhiyun Naanum for that reason, and that reason alone. I will never watch Abhiyum Naanum.

End Rant. 

10 comments:

Kaushik said...

=))
I don't even know if Abhiyum Naanum is as bad as you make it sound, but this write-up sure leaves me in splits.

Escape.... Great Escape said...

Kaushik. Watch Thiruvannamalai. Uniquely Dravidian.

Naren's said...

Distincly dravidian movies are pithamagan,anjathey....u are wrong

Escape.... Great Escape said...

Naren, I have seen movies similar to Anjathey and pithamagan, in other non-Indian languages.

I have not seen anything like Thiruvannnamalai or Silambattam in any other language... apart from the Dravidian group of languages.

It was just a passing comment.. don't take it too seriously.

Naren's said...

no way boss...i was not serious...i indeed loved the way u have written it..

Escape.... Great Escape said...

Yeah and then I watched Bommalattam... pretty good.

Kaushik said...

Villu plisss...
Didn't watch it yet, but understandably, a few songs, a few "dialogues", etc spoke loud enough. Depressing, really. Not the fact that such movies are made, but that there are people who support them. Again, I'm not this classy Oscar-range movie-watcher. I enjoy masala...I liked Shivaji the first time despite its truckload of crap. But someone like this guy doing trash after trash after trash and people still lapping it up...sad, depressing, irritating.......

Escape.... Great Escape said...

Villu.. Powerfullu.. Is it a remake of 'Jalsa' ?THe Powerstar Pavan Kalyan MO?

I am more interested in Engal Aasan.... with Vikranth.

Kaushik said...

Nope...It's a lame rip-off from Hindi "Soldier" with Bobby Deol and Preity. Music is Devi Sree Prasad who did the music for Jalsa, so same songs.
And what is this Engal Aasan?

Escape.... Great Escape said...

Engal Aasan is Vijaykanth in his newly bloated avatar. It has Vikranth too.